Sep 5, 2007

adios warmth

hand washing laundry

The days of having the children's washing table outside are numbered, I fear. Yesterday I came home to Mr. Montessori By Hand who was donning a fleece ski hat and a jacket. (And this was inside! I guess it's his Florida upbringing.)

Like many of you, the earlier sunset and the occasional cool wind have made me itch to get out the knitting needles. Crafting priorities change around this time of year. Here's what I have twirling about in my mental clockwork:

scarf and hat set : quilted throw a la Amy Karol : hand sewn quilt for my bed : set of holiday stockings : over-the-knee socks from this book : lots of embroidery and appliqué.

All of these endeavors are best accompanied by a warm mug of piloncillo tea, which wins my vote for one of the 7 wonders of Mexico.

To make two servings, add about 1/4 cone of piloncillo, 5 cloves, and a stick of cinnamon to a tea kettle filled with 3 cups of water. Bring all of the ingredients to a boil and continue until the piloncillo has dissolved. Pour yourself a hot mug-full.

I'll be making some tonight as we wait for hurricane Henrietta to pass over us.

xo,
Meg

3 comments:

Erin said...

Do you really wash all of your clothes by hand? Wow! Are you living off the grid?

What an inspiring life you lead :)

Christina said...

Ahhh the changing of seasons. My favorite season is Autumn. Sadly, living in Texas the season is lacking. As always your pictures are a delight to look at.

Bethany said...

We are still in warmer temps in Pennsylvania... though my kids are dying to wear their long sleeves again! We are wishing their Montessori teacher a happy retirement this Friday... she will probably be the most influential teacher in their life!